Monday 13 June 2011

Drinking Water

I'm on nights right now, so time is of the essence. My father is also in town, so it leaves little time for the internet. But things are going well. Still going raw. Nights were not much of a challenge. They are usually my hardest times, regarding eating. I'm bored, and want food. I brought a huge amount of salad, banana, blueberries, apples, some dates and some nuts. I wasn't overly hungry, but still thought a lot about food. So I guess it comes down to being prepared...which I can say is true for any diet. With the Dukan, I feel like I just didn't want more protein in the middle of the night, so I craved. Fruit and veggies seem to be a good filler at night, not to mention, easier to pick at (cut up veggies can last for hours).

The one thing I'm curious about (and open to opinions!) is drinking water. A lot of raw foodies out there contest that you shouldn't drink water during meals, and that you should not drink more than 30 minutes before a meal, and not for a few hours after. This doesn't leave a lot of time to drink water. And I think that with so much roughage, you need the H20 to soften the process. But then it dilutes digestive enzymes, so that could be wrong. I don't know. I just feel  that in the past, the more water I drank, the more I lost weight. Not that this is completely about losing weight, but let's be honest. I'm more about my looks than saving the environment (sin sin!). Right now, I'm trying not to drink water while I'm eating, but am having it otherwise.

It also makes me wonder about eating meat - would it more important to not drink water while eating, or less? Meat would require more work while digesting ( I hate thinking about that process - meat rotting in your gut). I'm just so (gullible isn't the word)..... I read one thing, and think 'well that makes sense' and then I read something else and I think 'well that makes sense too'. There are so many contradicting opinions out there in the internet, that its hard to say with scientific fact what is right. And as far as asking family doctors go, sometimes I'm surprised at how ignorant they can be. Or as subject to opinions as I can be. I mean, for one, half of them don't really validate sleep apnea (the field in which I work), and I just cannot understand that. They are just not educated enough about the co-morbidiities, and all the severe effects sleep apnea can have on your cardiovascular system. For any of you out there with sleep apnea - Get it treated! It makes such a huge difference in you health, energy levels, weight, everything!

So that's all for now. Gotta do my workout before work. It's pouring rain and windy, so no walking for me. It's CardioX time! Bring it!

2 comments:

  1. Good question about drinking water -- I've definitely heard arguments for both sides, too. I was thinking that maybe it's more important for meat-eaters to drink water during meals (for the reason you stated above), whereas fruits & veggies already contain a lot of water, so maybe for raw foodies it isn't as critical to drink during meals?

    Just a guess...I could totally be wrong...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all sounds plausible to me....but who knows!!:)

    ReplyDelete